The Trend Toward Cooperative Community
The Hawaii Sustainable Community Alliance is working towards amending current laws to allow more sustainable, eco-friendly practices, communities and buildings. We are working through the political system in our effort to achieve legislative change.
Bill HB 111 very successfully passed through three HOUSE committees in the state Legislature, and on March 21, the Senate Water and Land and Public Safety Committees held a joint hearing on the Sustainable Living Research Act bill. They voted to defer it, which essentially killed it for 2013.
We are working now to improve the bill, and will be resubmitting it for the 2014 legislative session.
Hawaii Sustainable Community Alliance (HSCA) Overview
Vision, Goals and Methods
- Our vision is to create a healthy, ecological, peaceful and economically stable world.
- We work toward that world on a local level by taking action to promote, support and advocate for land based sustainable community living in Hawaii.
- We facilitate networking, communication, information sharing and education among those interested in our vision and goals.
- Our methodology is to work closely and cooperatively with each other and with local, state and federal government to resolve issues, and to advocate for new and/or amended laws and codes.
Making Hawaii Sustainable
We specifically support and encourage the State of Hawaii’s goal of self-reliance and sustainability. This lifestyle of working together, pooling resources and thereby consuming less is essential to the success of our state becoming more self-reliant on all levels.
A Solution to Global Challenges Now
We see this way of living as being vital to solving life-threatening conditions facing the globe right now. We are faced with resource degradation, the breakdown of Earth’s ecological systems, the possibility of climate changes, and social issues such as crime, health and economic crises. Recent scientific and media reports regarding current economic, environmental and social conditions in Hawaii and worldwide show an immediate need to take clear and decisive action on these issues. We believe that time is of the essence, and that this lifestyle is one part of the solution.
Current Focus of the Alliance
Right now our focus is on zoning laws, building and infrastructure issues, ease of preparing special use permits, and on building a statewide network of our members.
We Invite Your Participation!
Sign up more members to HSCA. Tell your friends about this site and the work we are doing. The more support we can show, the better. When time comes to send in testimony and speak with Council members we will let you know more details.
- Please view our Channel on Youtube.
- Please sign up for our Newsletter and subscribe to our posts, or just check back here for more resources and updates.
You can help us out by signing up as a member, (see sidebar) so we can show that many people support ideas such as sustainable building techniques, building your own home from recycled and local materials, composting toilets and living in community on land.
Donations of any size are also very helpful! Just click on the Donate button to use Paypal.